• 论坛网址:https://dianbai.wiki(可微信分享)、https://0668.es、https://0668.cc(全加密访问)

Babies of the future (1人在浏览)

byronroy

荣誉会员
注册
2005-08-17
帖子
反馈评分
点数
Let's take a look at the babies of the future.

[rm]http://download.putclub.com/update/multitopic/kaleidoscope/2006ks1107&08.rm[/rm]

download it here if you can't watch it online.

Imagine being able to override Mother Nature and handpick the physical appearance and intellectual traits of your unborn child. Oh, Thanks to modern science, what may seem far-fetched now could be the norm for parents’ 25-years down the road.

They’re so lovable, so innocent, ten little fingers, ten tiny toes, to every parent's eye pure perfection. What if you could tinker with perfection, choose your baby's hair color, eye color, brain power, how // it will be.

You have specified his eyes, dark hair and / skin.

What seem like a science fiction in the movie "Gadga" is already happening. // fertilization, parents can actually choose to have a girl or a boy.

We can already look for the genes that influence all sorts of trivia traits like eye color or hair color. In 25 years, some geneticists believe parents will be able to select for genes that help with intelligence, memory, even talents like playing the piano. The question is whether or not people want to use technology for that purpose. We post the question at a gathering of pregnant moms and found a lot of resistance.

I think once you start choosing, you know how your baby should look like and what it should be or the sex should be. You take excitement unexpected.

Here is the thing. When we ask the mommies that if they would be ok to choose their babies' genetics to avoid a disease. The answer is changed.

I would say yes, but again I don’t hope it, but I think health is the most important part.

And that ability for parents to shape their child's health may be the biggest advance 25 years from now. The / science could provide genes to make babies simple resistance to diseases. Here is how a few years back scientists map out the human genes. It's a lot like a giant cold book that / the genes in the human body.

We have all the information and then everybody pull in over computers and try to figure out what it all means.

Experimenting on mice, scientists are trying to figure out which genes do what. They've already isolated genes that make some people more susceptible to certain cancers. Eventually, parents would be able not only to choose an embryo without that defective cancer gene, but to go in and change the genetic code.

We perfect that technology in mice. There is absolute no reason why that same technology couldn't be applied to human embryos.

No reason except for ethic concerns that genetic modification could change everything.

Our view of children, our view of parenthood, our view of our relationships with each other, and other our view of what it means to human, and we already really want to mess with what I think until we are very, very convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks.

And who will get the benefit? In 25 years many worry only rich Americans will be able to afford genetic tinkering.

There is going to a / gap between the haves and have-nots. And so the children there rich really might be beautiful and the children of ordinary people won't have the access to the same sorts of expensive technologies.

Will that happen in 25 years? It all depends on how people decide to handle the technology.

(there might be mistake in the above passages)

This sounds like a very scary fact. I believe that's something scientists can be done in 25 years. How wonderful that you can change your genetic code or remove those defective genee, so that you can have the appearance that you want to have and make you to be a healthy and intelligent person by selecting certain genes. In that way, all the rich people will become all good looking and smart people. The ordinary people will stuff with sick, pain, ugly and dumb? Perhaps, the technology can help building a person who can live 300 years old without suffering on any pain or sickness through his life time. Yes, everybody wants to be rich like Bill Gates and handsome like Tom Cruise. But the same issue will be raised like human cloning. Is that ethical? Personally, I feel like that you try to cheat on yourself by changing your exam score, and show people that you got a perfect score. Do we still care about Mother Nature? Do we still need morality? Should it be restricted by law? Are we still who we are? It's very interesting to find out in the near future. This can be happen in my life time!

Speaking of ethics and genes, it made me thinking of a science fiction that I have read about genetic code by 倪匡. Let me quote a phase from the content in Chinese. You can read the whole story from the follow link.
倪匡的小说<<密码>>有否看过。我引用其中与本贴有相关的一段, 大家可按涟接看全文。

“有一个密码,控制了一切地球生物生命的发生和生长的过程,生命的形态和繁殖的的方法,低等生物的繁衍生长,包括最原始简单的孢子植物在内,高等生物到人,生命历程中的性格、外型,也全然都受着密码的控制,完全按照密码所规定的、所排列的、所组合的运行,没有任何例外。什么密码,有那么厉害,控制了一切生命?
答案是,遗传密码。”

涟接:
http://www.taotao.cc/Article/Print.asp?ArticleID=1708

正在浏览此帖子的用户

后退
顶部